2022 Reducing the Threat of Nuclear War:
Rebuilding a Broader Movement
With Congress appropriating funds for new and upgraded nuclear weapons and delivery systems, the need to counter these misguided policies has become acute. The 2022 Conference will follow the general pattern of previous conferences, but with increased emphasis on coordinating efforts of advocates, and expanding outreach to organizations and constituencies outside the world of nuclear disarmament advocates.
Saturday afternoon, Jan 29, 2022, 2 – 6 pm
[2:00 pm] Welcome - Rev. Thea Keith-Lucas
[2:05 pm] Background and Tasks of this Conference- Prof. Jonathan King
[2:10 pm] Dangers and Costs: Chair - Susan Mirsky:
-Prohibiting First Use of Nuclear Weapons - Elaine Scarry;
-Resisting a New Cold War with China - Joseph Gerson;
-How the Nuclear Weapons Manufacturers Influence Policy - William Hartung.
- Low-Income Voters can Change the Political Landscape- Shailly Gupta Barnes.
[3:15] Paths Forward: Chair Jean Athey:
-Barriers to Policy Change - Phyllis Bennis;
-Prospects for Changing U.S. Nuclear Weapons Policies - Joe Cirincione;
-Role of the Congressional Progressive Caucus in Promoting Nuclear Disarmament - Larry Cohen;
[4:10 pm ]- Breakouts, listed below in arbitrary order: These are focused working groups planning for 2022. Reporters to provide summary of proposals from the Breakout for circulation to Registrants and co-sponsoring organizations.
- Growing in New Congressional Districts: Chair – Aaron Chapell (Our Revolution). Panelists - David Borris (Chicago Area Peace Action), Shailly Gupta Barnes (Poor People’s Campaign), Jean Athey (Maryland Peace Action). (Reporter Zoe Stevenson).
- Promoting Nuclear Disarmament in Rotary Clubs: Chair -Frances Jeffries. Panelists - Ann Frisch. (Reporter Peter Metz).
- Promoting Nuclear Disarmament within Communities of Faith: Chair - Sofia Wolman. Panelists Mark Moran (Pax Christi), Nicholas Mele (Pax Christi USA). Keith Harvey (AFSC). (Reporter Louise Coleman).
- Advancing the Back From the Brink Resolution: Chair - Denise Duffield (LA-PSR). Panelists - Dr. Ira Helfand (PSR), Anna Baker (GBPSR), Jackie Cabasso (Mayors for Peace), Dennis Carlone (Cambridge City Council). (Reporter – Jeannie Winner).
- Advancing No First Use Legislation: Chair- Steve Gallant. Panelists- Elaine Scarry (CPDCS), Kennette Benedict (Bulletin), Dave Pack (Kansas City). (Reporter- Steve Slaner).
- Cutting the Budget for New Nuclear Weapons: Chair – Carley Towne. Panelists - Monica Montgomery (CLW), David Swanson (World Beyond War); Williams Hartung (Quincy Institute); (Reporter, Richard Krushnic ).
- Resisting a New Cold War and Promoting International Treaties: Chair - John Ratliff (Mass Peace Action). Panelists - Joseph Gerson (Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security); Ralph Hutchison (Oak Ridge Peace Alliance); Drew Baldwin (Northeastern University). (Reporter – Mike Van Elzakker).
- Fund Healthcare Not Warfare; Recruiting in the Public Health Community: Chair – Amar Ahmad (FHCNW) . Jonathan King (MAPA), Dr. Robert Gould (San Francisco PSR); Catherine DeLorey (Women’s Health Institute); Martin Fleck (PSR); Vaughn Goodwin (1199SEIU). (Reporter-Louise Parker).
- Recruiting on Campuses: Chair; Prof. Robert Redwine (MIT). Panelists - Prof. Stewart Prager (Princeton), Margaret Engel (PANYS), Kareem King (Harvard BSA), Prof. Edmund Bertschinger (MIT Physics); Prof. Gary Goldstein (Tufts U). (Reporter – William Moon).
- No Wars, No Warming; Chair- Rev. Bob Moore (NJ). Panelists - Ed Aguilar (CFPA), Rosalie Anders (MAPA), Nick Rabb (Sunrise), Diane Fine (350 MA), Vernon Walker (CREW). (Reporter – TBA).
- Mobilizing Cultural Workers, Musicians and Artists: Chair – Jim Anderson: Panelists Eva Moseley (Mass Peace Action), Kathie Malley-Morrison (Boston University); Mel Hardy (Millenium Arts DC); Andre DeQuadros (Boston University). (Reporter – Jack Snyder).
- Working with Our Revolution Chapters: Chair: Martha Karchere (Our Revolution MA). Panelists - Rand Wilson; Carolyn Magid (OR-Cambridge); Hal Ginsberg (Our Revolution Maryland); (Reporter Jared Hicks)
- Working with Poor People’s Campaign Chapters ( Chair - Maryellen Kurkulos (Mass Peace Action): Panelists - Jodie Evans (CodePINK), Rosemary Kean (MAPA), Martha Speiss (Maine PA), Anne Cassebaum (NC). (Reporter- Steve Powell (MaPPC).
- Designing Direct Actions including Divestment: Chair – Susan Mirsky. Panelists - Susi Snyder (Don’t Bank on the Bomb Europe); Rev. Paul Dordal (PA), Paul Shannon (AFSC), Medea Benjamin (CodePINK), David Swanson (World Beyond War), Jonathan Daly-Labelle (Just Peace Rhode Island). (Reporter – Christopher Spicer Hankle).
5:15 pm Moving Outward: Chair Jodie Evans.
- Prospects for Change in the US House - Representative Barbara Lee;
- Prospects for Change in the US Senate -Senator Jeff Merkley;
- Progressive Political Agenda for 2022 - US Rep. Ayanna Pressley (invited);
- Moving our Ideas into Political Action - Medea Benjamin.
6:00 pm Adjourn.
Co-Sponsors: Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security; CodePINK; Institute for People’s Engagement; Mass Peace Action; MIT Radius; MIT Faculty Newsletter; Nuclear Weapons Education Campaign
Program Committee: Jonathan King, Susan Mirsky, Robert Redwine, Amar Ahmad, Patricia-Maria Weinmann.
Thanks to the Amy Rugel Giving Fund and Norris Rugel Giving Fund for financial support.